Your shopping list is a mile long. Your social calendar is jam-packed. Your patience is wearing thin, and your budget is stretched to the max!
If your holiday mantra is “Bah humbug” rather than “Ho ho ho,” try these tips to reduce your stress and enjoy the season:
- Relax your expectations. You don’t have to find the perfect present. You don’t have to cook the perfect meal. Your family loves you for yourself, not for your Beef Wellington.
- Let your kids pitch in. They may turn out to be excellent gift-wrappers or table-setters!
- Stick to your budget. Overspending will add to your stress for months or even years to come. See tip # 1.
- Plan ahead. Shop early. Watch for sales. Set up a separate holiday savings account for next year’s expenses.
- If you’re entertaining, make it a potluck. Ask your guests to show off their cooking/baking (or in some cases, shopping) skills and bring a dish you all can share. Be sure to have them let you know ahead of time what they're bringing so you don't have 10 platters of sweet potatoes!
- Find time for fun. As they say, laughter is the best medicine!
MCCU offers a variety of savings accounts to help you save money for all of your holiday expenses – gift shopping or taking a much-needed vacation!
- Regular Savings accounts
- Savers Plus (Money Market) accounts
- Easy, automatic deposit options available
We also offer a low-rate Personal Loan that you can use for holiday expenses – the rate is lower than a credit card and you have up to 60 months to pay it back. If you want to pay it off faster – no problem! We won’t charge you any pre-payment penalties.
Let us help you make the holiday season a little less stressful!
« Return to "Matadors Money Matters Blog"